What Is It?
Biscuitville is challenging Greensboro-area college students to create a product that will attract new users, ages 18 – 35 to Biscuitville restaurants. Open from 5:30am – 2pm, Biscuitville’s product offerings include biscuits, platters, pancakes and sweets. A complete product listing may be found at biscuitville.com. The product that is submitted should be able to be served for both the breakfast and mid-day menu.
Brand Your Biscuit Challenge Educational Objectives
- To develop and demonstrate leadership, brand development and marketing skills.
- To develop team working skills while integrating individual contributions.
- To encourage innovative and creative thinking skills through the development of new food products and marketing strategies.
- To acquire knowledge of market research, consumer trends, feasibility of product and marketing strategies.
- Each team can have no more than four participants each.
- Teams must be made of currently enrolled college students from UNCG, NC A&T State University, Greensboro College, Guilford College, Bennett College, Elon University and Guilford Technical Community College.
ROUND ONE: Online Submissions
- Each team must submit a product proposal online by Monday February 25, 2013.
- Three to five top teams will be selected from each Greensboro higher education institution.
- Semi-finalists will be notified by Friday, March 1, 2013.
ROUND TWO: Semi-Finalist Competition
- The top three to five teams from each institution will be asked to submit a 5 minute video via YouTube using props, marketing slogans, promotional aides and ingredients to demonstrate why their product would be successful in the 18-35 year old Biscuitville market.
- Video equipment is available for those without access.
- Quality of the video will not attract or deter from the scoring. Videos will be judged on content only.
- Video deadline: Wednesday, March 20, 2013.
- Finalists (one team per school) will be notified by Friday, March 29, 2013.
ROUND THREE: Finalist Competition
- One team per higher education institution will be selected to compete in the final competition at Biscuitville Headquarters.
- The week of April 1, teams will give a presentation (maximum 15 minutes) using posters, computers or other visual aids that include pictures/sketches, marketing slogans, and props advertising and promotional aides, ingredients and a statement on why their product would be successful in the food market.
- Biscuitville Product Development and Brand Development staff will be available for finalist teams’ consultation prior to the final presentation.
Awards & Recognitions
The winner of the Biscuitville Product Development Challenge will be announced at the Biscuits & Business Breakfast on Monday, April 8, 2013. All finalists will be invited to attend the breakfast — a chance to meet and mingle with community leaders and local entrepreneurs.
The winning team will receive
- $5,000 gift for their higher education institution. Team members will choose the allocation of the funds within their school with the assistance of the school development representative.
- The opportunity to have a business breakfast with Burney Jennings, President of Biscuitville.
- Their product sold at area Biscuitville restaurants for a period of time. (Biscuitville reserves the right to determine product launch based on unpredictable circumstances.)
Brand Your Biscuit Timeline
|February 25, 2013||Online submissions are due|
|March 1, 2013||Semi-finalists are notified. Save the date for potential presentation to judges and winner breakfast.|
|March 20, 2013||Videos are due from semi-finalists|
|March 29, 2013||Finalists are notified|
|April 1, 2, or 3||Finalists make presentations to judges|
|Monday April 8, 2013||Winner Announced! Business and Biscuits Breakfast|