The Biscuitville Bowl is a week-long spring celebration of Greensboro, North Carolina’s thriving entrepreneurial community, its seven colleges and universities, and its 50,000 college students. Biscuitville, a locally-grown and scratch-made business, is the title sponsor.
Check out these events April 8 -13, 2013
- Scratch-Made Success Week – Free intercampus events and programs focused on entrepreneurship
- Brand Your Biscuit! – Product development challenge for local college students, and
- 7 Campus Scramble Center City relay race with wacky breakfast-themed obstacles.
Background In 2001 Opportunity Greensboro, a team of the city’s academic and business leaders, recognized the need to connect students from all seven higher education institutions. They asked synerG Young Professionals to come up with a high-energy event geared to college students.
synerG proposed a spring 5K relay race in downtown Greensboro. Then, enter Biscuitville with flour, jelly, grits and buttermilk! The initial event quickly transformed into a test of college students’ school spirit, brain power, and resilience as well as an opportunity to learn by participating in different entrepreneurship activities. And a community celebration for people of every age!
Brand Your Buscuit. What Is It?
Biscuitville is challenging Greensboro-area college students to create a product that will attract new users, ages 18 – 35 to Biscuitville restaurants. Open from 5:30am – 2pm, Biscuitville’s product offerings include biscuits, platters, pancakes and sweets. A complete product listing may be found at biscuitville.com. The product that is submitted should be able to be served for both the breakfast and mid-day menu.
Brand Your Biscuit Challenge Educational Objectives
- To develop and demonstrate leadership, brand development and marketing skills.
- To develop team working skills while integrating individual contributions.
- To encourage innovative and creative thinking skills through the development of new food products and marketing strategies.
- To acquire knowledge of market research, consumer trends, feasibility of product and marketing strategies.
- Each team can have no more than four participants each.
- Teams must be made of currently enrolled college students from UNCG, NC A&T State University, Greensboro College, Guilford College, Bennett College, Elon University and Guilford Technical Community College.
ROUND ONE: Online Submissions
- Each team must submit a product proposal online by Monday February 25, 2013.
- Three to five top teams will be selected from each Greensboro higher education institution.
- Semi-finalists will be notified by Friday, March 1, 2013.
ROUND TWO: Semi-Finalist Competition
- The top three to five teams from each institution will be asked to submit a 5 minute video via YouTube using props, marketing slogans, promotional aides and ingredients to demonstrate why their product would be successful in the 18-35 year old Biscuitville market.
- Video equipment is available for those without access.
- Quality of the video will not attract or deter from the scoring. Videos will be judged on content only.
- Video deadline: Wednesday, March 20, 2013.
- Finalists (one team per school) will be notified by Friday, March 29, 2013.
ROUND THREE: Finalist Competition
- One team per higher education institution will be selected to compete in the final competition at Biscuitville Headquarters.
- The week of April 1, teams will give a presentation (maximum 15 minutes) using posters, computers or other visual aids that include pictures/sketches, marketing slogans, and props advertising and promotional aides, ingredients and a statement on why their product would be successful in the food market.
- Biscuitville Product Development and Brand Development staff will be available for finalist teams’ consultation prior to the final presentation.
Awards & Recognitions
The winner of the Biscuitville Product Development Challenge will be announced at the Biscuits & Business Breakfast on Monday, April 8, 2013. All finalists will be invited to attend the breakfast a chance to meet and mingle with community leaders and local entrepreneurs.
The winning team will receive:
- $5,000 gift for their higher education institution. Team members will choose the allocation of the funds within their school with the assistance of the school development representative.
- The opportunity to have a business breakfast with Burney Jennings, President of Biscuitville.
- Their product sold at area Biscuitville restaurants for a period of time. (Biscuitville reserves the right to determine product launch based on unpredictable circumstances.)
Greensboro, North Carolina is proud home to seven higher education institutions:
Elon University School of Law
Guilford Technical Community College
North Carolina A&T State University
University of North Carolina at Greensboro